Friday, March 28, 2008

My Name's Not George, But...



...I definitely think I fall into the camp of more curious than not. I've truly enjoyed each and every lesson this semester in Project Play - even those that most challenged my little grey cells to understand and find a library related use for (still thinking on weeks 10 & 3 from semester 2 and week 8 of semester 1). I think this image of Curious George (sing it with me: the curious little monkey) is an appropriate depiction of my reaction to new web 2.0 tools. I was a "connector" in week 1 and the fact that I'm interested in trying out and using fun web tools in my personal life probably helps boost my comfort level with and curiosity for trying out these tools with my library-colored glasses on. I like the idea suggested by the fabulous Project Play Fearless Leaders of setting aside just 15 minutes out of each day to play. This is a great way to think about and incoporate 2.0 tools into each day. In 15 minutes, I could easily:
  • have a quick browse of my growing list of bloglines feeds
  • do a more thorough read of an interesting post and comments
  • add my latest titles to my librarything library, with tags and maybe a review
  • create a survey for staff, or analyse the results of one I've already done
  • look over a new tool and decided if it warrants further exploration: ex. check out yelp
  • write up a post about new tools, or how I'm using the ones we've learned about
  • continue trying to understand mashups and things like yahoo pipes
  • add upcoming library events and schedules to my google calendar
  • spend some brain time thinking about how to put some of these tools to use at my library
  • spend some quality time with other staff encouraging themto try out neat tools
  • spend some discussion time with my director figuring out how we can put these great tools into practice
  • ...the list could go on and on...

I do wish there was a semester 3 since there is so much still to learn! Thank you, most fabulous Project Play Leaders, for providing inspiring lessons and empowering me to try out all of these tools. I hope my fellow Project Play-ers will continue to post to their blogs so I can keep up with their exploits, both on line and off!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If only we had 15 hours a day to play with this stuff, right??? There is so much we can do (as you've illustrated with this great list!)

Thanks, Jaime, for a great final post for the semester. I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts through out the project.

If you have suggestions for topics for our Project Play-continuations, please let me know!!

Amy said...

Hi Jaime -

All I can say is "Your posts are amazing!" You are the model student. I love reading your blog...AND...I love the Mr. Rogers clip you included. Brings back memories of snuggling with one of the kids on the couch after lunch.